Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rain Barrels 2.0

Last year I set up rain barrels to collect.....well.... rain water!

They worked great for supplying water for the garden.

But...I rushed the installation and did not elevate the barrels properly. Thus flow from the barrels was slow and annoying. Plus I could not connect them together since they were not elevated. Gravity is like that sometimes. Dang gum Issac Newton!

So this year I reconfigured, refitted, and repositioned. (of course I spent next to nothing on parts). Gravity is my friend this year.



Since the barrels are elevated, when barrel #1 is full ,water will flow into barrel #2 (via green hose). Then when barrel #2 is full, water will flow out of the overflow tube at the top of #2. (and away from my foundation!)

Cuz I'm redneck smart like that!

From the sky to roof to gutter to barrel to my plants. Forget the environment, this just makes sense (cents?)!!

1 comment:

valeriej said...

u are a recycle geneius!!! thanks for the tips on cultivating.
vj